Monday, May 17, 2010

Chasing Clouds and Dodging Trucks

As I predicted, the forecast storm never arrived this morning, so I bagged returning to the Hoh Rainforest and headed back to Lake Crescent where I played with more mossy trees and lake water.  Pretty stuff, pure design and color.  I don't know why I've never bothered to shoot this area before: probably because it's a place I'm always driving past on my way to somewhere I think I want to be...
On the way home in the afternoon, the rain finally arrived - too late to drive back to the Hoh - so instead I took a short detour to see if the wild rhododendrons were blooming on Mt. Walker. This is the best place in the state for rhodies, and they didn't disappoint.  But lest you think this is a tranquil scene of remote wilderness, I should tell you that these flowers (actually both these shots) were taken from the shoulder of a very busy Highway 101. To be honest, my biggest photographic challenge was the gusts of wind caused by the endless line of passing logging trucks - a sobering reminder of the fact that on the Olympic Peninsula, if it isn't protected, it's gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment