Sunday, May 16, 2010

Paradise in Green

Moss-covered Maple, Lake Crescent, Olympic National Park

This is prime time in the lush forests of the Pacific Northwest, the brief window when everything is bursting with spring green. It is an amazing time of year, and I always try to make time for it, even if it means going back to places I've been many times before, like the Hoh Rainforest on the west side of the Olympic Peninsula.  That was my goal today, but as often happens, I got waylaid....this time along the shore of lovely Lake Crescent. This is the only place I know with mossy trees and a luscious blue-green background, and conditions were perfect.  The light was soft overcast, the water still, and there was not a hint of wind. (Trust me, this never happens...at least not to me.) In the end, I happily burned up an hour or two here - so by the time I finally got to the Hoh, the sun was out, the wind had come up, and I got nothing.  So it goes.  I may try the Hoh again tomorrow, but then again, I may find something unexpected on the way to something familiar.

No comments:

Post a Comment